Bistrita is the northernmost burgh of Transylvania, characterized in 1564 by the Italian traveler Giovano Andreea Gramo as “the most beautiful city of Transylvania”. The first document of the city is recorded in 1241 in the context of the great Tatar invasion, when the town is mentioned by the name Nosa. On the 16th of July 1264, in a papal document, the city is mentioned by the Latin name Besterche.
Bistrita has an area of 145.47 km2 (2.7% of the total Bistrita-Nasaud County) and a population of 85,154 inhabitants (26.9% of the county population at 1 January 2011). Bistrita municipality economy is complex, dominated by the service sector, which is booming plus a well-developed industrial sector geared towards export, which has developed in the last 50 years. Although benefits from a great potential and favorable natural conditions, agricultural activities have an insignificant share in the municipal economy, resuming the practice of subsistence agriculture. From the historical point of view, the two dominant sectors of the economy municipality – services and manufacturing – have a long tradition locally. Bistrita was an important trading center in the Middle Ages (15th-16th), when it received large sums of money generated by the mining of gold and silver in the mountain area of the county (Rodna), and the adoption of a model German business, the city is an important Saxon burg. The city has a population of 85,156 inhabitants. Most inhabitants are Romanian (90.2%), followed by Hungarians (6%) and Roma (3.6%). Ethnic German population has decreased significantly (after massive emigration to Germany), reaching only 0.2%
Web site: www.primariabistrita.ro